Friday Five – February 19th, 2021
Updated: Feb 25, 2022
Welcome to this week’s Friday Five! Let’s get started.
1. I got my first dose of the COVID vaccine today! I feel so hopeful for the first time in a long time, and I also feel immensely thankful for our healthcare workers for working so hard to distribute them. The nurse at the urgent care clinic I went to was SO kind & helpful, and helped ease all my needle-jitters. My arm is definitely sore, and doing stuff around the house or even typing up this post has been a bit difficult, but in my mind its so much better than a COVID diagnosis! I am anxiously awaiting my second dose!
2. I hope you all had a chance to read my post from yesterday about the current situation in Texas. That state is near and dear to my heart after living in Austin for 4 years during college, and the current state is breaking my heart. If you’re like me and feeling helpless on how to make an impact, my post has a few great organizations you can research and donate to. Head over to that blog post to read more.
3. So last night I finally watched the documentary about Britney Spears, and WOW. I have a ton of thoughts, and while I don’t know if I can put all of them into words, the bottom line is that my heart goes out to her. It is so easy to dismiss someone as “crazy” or “off the rails”, but if you take time to really see their side of the story you can look a little deeper. It’s time to have a conversation about how the media and the paparazzi handle celebrity scandals and perpetuate the situation. I would call it borderline abusive. And Britney certainly isn’t alone: Princess Diana, Demi Lovato, Taylor Swift, Meghan Markle & Prince Harry, the list goes on. I’m a firm believer that celebrities are humans who go through shit just like everyone else, and don’t deserve to have their heartaches and trials splashed across TMZ. It’s also time to to have a conversation about mental health support. My biggest thought watching the shots of Britney shaving her head and attacking a car with an umbrella was that she needed support, and wasn’t getting it. She clearly was being affected by something personal – her own mother said she suspected depression – and yet instead of giving her time and space to heal, she was being followed and hounded by the media while her own dad was using her for money. It’s honestly surprising she didn’t do something even more drastic. I have a lot more to say, but I think I could take up 10 different blog posts if I kept going, hah! If you haven’t watched the documentary yet, please do yourself a favor and do so!
4. Beautycounter has extended 20% off for new clients to the month of February! YAY! If you haven’t purchased from Beautycounter before, or sign up with a new email, you can save 20% off your entire purchase with code CLEANFORALL20. This is a perfect time to swap out some of your skincare or makeup items for a clean alternative! Head over to the “Beauty” tab on this site to see my top 12 product recommendations!
5. I am SO excited for tomorrow because I’ll be meeting with my new photographer to shoot some content for Follow The Curve! It has been a hot minute since I had a shoot, and I am so excited to get back on the horse and make some more magic! Be on the lookout for some new things coming soon!
Have a great weekend, everyone!